Following his decision on Friday to stay on at Barcelona for the upcoming football season, Lionel Messi was reportedly a no-show at the team's Saturday morning training session.
This most recent act of truancy comes not long after the Argentine was a no-show for the global virus test that was mandatory for all Barcelona players on Sunday, August 30.
Messi must, therefore, pass the virus test first before rejoining his squad by Monday, following which, we will learn how he fits into the upcoming friendly against Nastic on September 12, which will be new coach Ronald Koeman's first fixture on the job.
The 33-year-old finally put an end to the speculation around whether he would end his fabled relationship with the Blaugrana, with a terse interview where he tore into the Barca management, and one man in particular.
"I wasn't happy and I wanted to leave. I have not been allowed this in any way and I will STAY at the club so as not to get into a legal dispute. The management of the club led by Bartomeu is a disaster," said Messi, singling out the club's president.
Despite the obvious bad blood, Messi said that his respect for Barcelona forced him against bringing legal action against the club which insists on invoking his €700m release clause for letting him go, and as a result, he will see out the upcoming season with them.
The revelation put an end to the furore that had been kicked off following his fax to Barcelona that he wished to leave the club.
Feature image courtesy: AFP / Filippo Monteforte, Josep Lago