Sancho has become a pivotal member of Borussia Dortmund and his performances this season have helped the squad chase the Bundesliga title for the first time in eight years.
Jadon Sancho was just 17 years old when he arrived in Germany to play for Borussia Dortmund in 2017. He had huge potential and many good things were expected from him. However, what he has done over the last couple of seasons, in particular, is extraordinary.
Sancho has become a pivotal member of the squad and his performances this season have helped Dortmund chase the Bundesliga title for the first time in eight years. He is just 20 years old at present but there is no other player in Dortmund's squad who is as important as the youngster. He carried the team on his back with his stellar performances throughout the 2019/20 season until Erling Haaland arrived at the club back in January.
We take a look at the numbers which make him special.
- Sancho accumulated a total of 14 goals and 15 assists in just 23 games until the coronavirus outbreak brought the sporting world to a standstill last month. Those are simply outrageous numbers for any player even in a full season but Sancho achieved those numbers with as many as 15 games to go.
- Sancho outperformed both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo with his performances as a teenager. Before turning 20, Sancho scored a total of 31 goals and 42 assists. Messi, in comparison, had scored 26 goals and six assists in his teenage years while Ronaldo had scored 16 goals and 16 assists.
- He is the top scorer and top assist maker for Dortmund this season. That's an incredible feat for a 20-year-old.
- No other Dortmund player this season has made more successful dribbles than Sancho's 2.6 successful dribbles per game. Only Achraf Hakimi comes close with 2.4 successful dribbles per game.
- Sancho has also dribbled past a league-high of 77 players in the Bundesliga this season.
- Nobody in the side comes close to matching Sancho's passing ability as well. He has made 2.3 key passes per game this season. The next best for Dortmund is Thorgan Hazard with 1.8 key passes per game.
- Sancho's 1.39 goal-creating actions per game is also another league-high in the Bundesliga this season.
These facts and figures go on to show why Sancho is rated so highly. Many top European clubs like Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City and Real Madrid among others are trying to acquire the services of the youngster for the upcoming season. Sancho is very versatile and his superb passing, scoring and dribbling abilities suggest that he will be successful in any attacking position - whether it is in the wings or as No. 10 in the midfield.
Feature image courtesy: AFP / Ina Fassbender