- Despite Gujarat being a new team, they have done so well. What is the winning formula?
David Miller: The team atmosphere has been extremely positive and we are very clear with our plans and roles. Once you have clarity and are backed by the team, you get confidence and that reflects in our performances.
- What makes Gujarat different from other franchises for you?
David Miller: Each Indian T20 League team is different and it isn’t easy to compare. They all have different setups. At Gujarat, it was a fresh start for us all and being a part of this journey from the beginning has been exciting.
- Your thoughts on Hardik Pandya as captain?
David Miller: Hardik is a confident man and that reflects in his leadership. Both on and off the field, he has the ability to make people feel welcome and relaxed. He knows how to handle pressure and that has been his biggest strength. He has had a great run and I hope we continue to achieve success under his leadership.
- Lucknow is also through to the playoffs. What could be the reason behind new teams doing so well?
David Miller: It is difficult to say why the two new teams, in particular, have performed so well. If you look at all the teams, they are all balanced and have got some fantastic players.
- 10 years in the Indian T20 League. Is it fair to say you're having your best season this year?
David Miller: As a player, my goal has always been to win matches for the team. This year I am happy to have contributed to the team’s success and in our journey to qualify for the playoffs. It is only the second time I will get a chance to be in the playoffs. For me, that is the biggest thing and we are hoping to go all the way.
- You're an Indian T20 League veteran, having played for three teams and over a 100 matches. How has the league evolved over the years?
David Miller: The teams have matured over time, no doubt about it. As the years have gone by, the teams have figured out the formula for success on the field of play. With an eye on success, each team has worked out a process which fits in for them and one that they hope brings success.
- You, Rahul Tewatia, and Rashid Khan have been exceptional in closing out games this season. Your thoughts?
David Miller: Firstly, it is the belief that we can win. Rahul and I share a good bond, right since the time we played for Rajasthan. That has helped us share a good camaraderie in the middle. We always believe we have a chance to win and play each ball well while focusing on the task ahead. It helps that Rashid has been able to come in and back us up with his boundary-hitting abilities.
- Name a young player who has caught your eye this season?
David Miller: The Indian T20 League always unveils new players with potential. I would say Umran Malik caught the eye for me. He got five wickets against us and showed that he has the potential to go the distance. He has raw pace and that is always an asset.
- Your 1st home game could be the Indian T20 League 2022 final. Is there any extra motivation?
David Miller: The motivation is always to win but if we get to play the big game in front of the huge crowd at Ahmedabad, it will be extremely special. As a sportsperson, you want the big stage and if we get the opportunity, it will be amazing.
- This is an important year considering the T20 World Cup in Australia. What are your thoughts on South Africa's chances?
David Miller: The South African team is a good space. Last year, we won four out of our five matches at the T20 World Cup in the UAE but were unfortunate to get knocked out on net run-rate. I am positive about our chances and confident that we will put our best foot forward.
Author: Sandilya Garimella
Featured photo: AFP / PHILL MAGAKOE